Wednesday, October 26, 2011

NO!

"No, No, No, No, No." It seems like that is all I have heard in the last few months when it comes to jobs.  Yes, I can blame the economy. Yes, I can blame the fact that I live in Maine where there aren't a whole hell of a lot of jobs.  But that doesn't make "No" sting any less each time.

But what now? I have to do something.  Maybe rearrange my thoughts about the next few years?  It scares me though because last time I rearranged my goals...I ended up incredibly burnt.
Relocation?  I love Maine.  I found a whole new appreciation for this place when I went abroad.  BUT that hasn't stopped my thirst for travel and for relocation really. Plus there could be better opportunities elsewhere. I love writing.  I, of course,still don't do enough of it, but it truly is my passion.  My Honor's thesis sucked my faith in my own writing out of me.  I've never felt so discouraged...or at least not in a long time. I enjoyed writing it...or editing it...whatever.  And felt like a total let down. I hope to find a little faith in my writing again.  I miss feeling confident.

I don't even know what kind of writing I want to do anymore.  I kept expecting some great idea to hit me in the face and to be able to run like the wind with it.  Yeah I'm starting to realize I may get hit in the face with the idea...but from there...it's hard work. I think I just need to get my nose back in some books and find some inspiration.  Thank goodness for my kindle.  I have my share of life experiences that I've considered writing about...but that brings me back to a question my thesis committee asked, "Who cares?"  And would anyone care? I don't know. But maybe it's worth a shot.

1 comment:

  1. "Who cares?" And would anyone care?

    Wrong questions, Jenn. Try this one - "How do I make them care?"

    Successful writers write about all kinds of things...often things that don't have a built in market - an obvious "who" that "cares". You want to write about something YOU care about and create your market by making THEM care.

    Your thesis advisor and thesis committee both failed miserably. "Who cares?" is not feedback you can use...and your advisor should have foreseen that reaction and suggested ways to make it better by making them care...rather than suggesting you trash it and start again from scratch.

    Write...be true to yourself...and find a hook that grabs them and makes them care.

    Simple, huh?

    ReplyDelete